Thursday, May 25, 2006

37 Weeks Pregnant!

I've been naughty again and left it yonks - I''ve had so much going on that I just haven't had a chance.

I've left work now - they got me some Tony & Guy vouchers so I'm off to have my hair done next week (wahey) and some trousers. It was weird leaving but I know I'll be back. I don't think it's sunk in yet that I'm not going back for the whole rest of the year, because Jack has been off this week too decorating the house. Next week I'm gonna stay at my Mums house just so I can relax and sort out my room here and get everything finally packed up.

I had my midwife appointment this morning, all was well with baby - it has moved to the left hand side now, which is the ideal position for labour, it's heartbeat was nice and strong, and is 3/5ths palpable. Ooooh I found out what that means! Basically there are 5 parts to the pelvis which the baby goes down in order for the head to become fully engaged. The amount of 5ths palpable refers to the amount of sections it still has to go down, so basically our baby has gone down 2 bits. I asked if the head could come out again, and she said it was very unlikely. I don't have my next appointment now for 10 days.

I also picked up our new car today (wooohooo), being bigger than the Smart it may take a bit of getting used to, but it's nice to know we have another one now.

It's out last NCT class tonight. I can't believe how quickly it has gone, absolutely flown by. I met some of the girls for lunch on Tuesday which was really nice. One of them couldn't make it 'cos it seemed as if she was going into labour! Guess we'll find out tonight whether or not that was the case!

One of the Handbag.com June Mummies is having her baby today too by C-Section as it was breech. I'm so excited for her, but it's really bringing it home that it's going to be my turn soon. I've had so many other things to think about that I haven't really allowed myself time to get nervous, but it's slowly kicking in. 3 weeks til I'm due. Wow.

Here is my bump, taken just now:






















Here's what Babycentre.com says about week 37... "Your baby weighs close to 6.5 pounds / 2.8 kilograms and may be about 20 inches / 50 centimetres long from head to toe. Your baby's head is now cradled in your pelvic cavity -- surrounded and protected by your pelvic bones. This position clears some much-needed space for her growing legs and buttocks.

Many babies now have a full head of hair, with locks maybe around one inch / 2.5 centimetres long. But don't be surprised if her hair isn't the same colour as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes taken aback when their children are born with bright red or blond hair, and fair-haired couples likewise can produce babies with dark hair. And then, of course, some babies don't have any hair at all.

Speaking of hair, most of the downy coat of lanugo that covered your baby from 26 weeks has disappeared, and so has most of the vernix caseosa, the whitish substance that also covers her. Your baby will swallow her lanugo and exterior coating, along with other secretions, and store them in her bowels. These will become your infant's first bowel movement, a blackish waste called meconium. Around now many women start worrying about whether they will know if they are in labour."

No comments: