Thursday, February 19, 2009

18ish Weeks

Today, I am either 18+3, or 17+4, I feel alright, I've been getting the flutters in my tummy again, I can't wait for them to be proper kicks & punches... although I may regret saying that in a few weeks as I remember being kept awake by Louis, he wriggled like a mad thing! I've started to feel the weight of the bump a little more - it's more comfortable to put something under it when Im laying in bed so its not 'floating' and I've had to start walking at a fraction of a slower pace.

This week I ordered our pram, so exciting! I know we have the travel system we used with Louis, but back then we had no experience, we just went for the cheapest thing. Now I think the design of it is rank, and I just don't like it - it will go on ebay this weekend. We bought a Bugaboo Cameleon, it will be arriving next week. I went for the grey and black option, as we won't find out the sex of the baby, but they also sell a 'Breezy Canopy' which is a summer hood for it, so once we have the baby I might get one of those according to the sex. Well, I might get a pink one if we have a girl, Im not sure if I like the blue!

I finally got through to someone about sorting out my antenatal care. I rang my GP, as advised by the hospital, who said they had no numbers for any midwives and I should be going to the hospital for my appointments - which the hospital said was rubbish. I managed to find about 4 different numbers for NHS care in the area - just patient advice kinda thing, typically the last one I called was the right one... well, it wasn't but she knew where I had to call. So I called them, then got the number for the community midwife, what a palava! I was told I don't need to be seen now until 25 weeks, but I will need the MATB1 form to give my work before 25 weeks to inform them of my pregnancy officially.

That's another thing I've been pondering this week - how long to have off before I have the baby. I think last time I had planned to work 'til 36 weeks but ended up leaving at 34 because I felt so pregnant. This time I have a toddler to deal with too! I don't want to 'waste' my maternity leave, but I also don't want to struggle into London in the heat feeling uncomfortable. Ohhhhh decisions decisions. A friend of mine due in March had her baby 4 weeks early (on Valentines day - ahhh), which to be honest, has freaked me into thinking maybe I need 6 weeks! Another idea I have had is to see how much holiday I have accumilated and take that off before my proper maternity leave kicks in. I still have a while to decide I guess.

Here is a pic of me today. I realise it looks like I am wearing pyjamas - I'm not - it's a white vest and boyfriend jeans :P



Baby-gaga.com says the following about week 18:

We have two more ounces! Your "getting bigger-n-better by the minute baby" is already up to 7 ounces and 6 inches! This is a big week for their baby skin. There are now two distinct layers—the epidermis (or the surface skin) and dermis. Currently, their skin is covered with a greasy, waxy, cheese-like substance, known as vernix caseosa. Sure, it sounds pretty nasty, but this mixture of fatty secretions covering your little swimmer from head to toe is the best way to protect their oh-so-thin skin from bruising and abrasions as well as chapping caused by amniotic fluid exposure (and your little one is swimming in that stuff!). Still don’t like the fact your little darling is currently slathered in fatty cream like a greased pig? Well, you know the birthing process? Where you have to push something the size of a watermelon out a hole the size of a grape? That adorable little greased piglet would have a lot harder time getting through the birth canal without the vernix caseosa. Fun fact for momma’s with baby girls: it’s a uterus within a uterus! Your little girl will have developed a uterus and vagina canal by the end of this week.


And how's mom doing? POP! If you haven’t yet, you will soon be seeing the last of your inn-y belly button—until after you’ve pushed your little monkey out. If it’s getting difficult to breathe, you can thank your not-so-small belly for squishing your lungs—which will be more and more cramped for space as the pregnancy Keep in mind that as you grow (and grow and grow) in size you produce more blood (for both of you), which lowers your blood pressure. So standing up quickly and/or occasional fast movements may cause slight dizziness or lightheadedness progresses. Not that this is surprising as everything else in your mid-section is getting properly squooshed as well. (What else is new?!!). Keep in mind that as you grow (and grow and grow) in size you produce more blood (for both of you), which lowers your blood pressure. So standing up quickly and/or occasional fast movements may cause slight dizziness or lightheadedness. This is totally normal, but means you shouldn’t be too quick to jump to your feet when your team scores a goal. It's better to just punch the air in excitement or clap gleefully. One more fun pregnancy symptom to add to the list: you are producing more melanin, which can cause dark patches of skin to occur on random parts of your body. Don’t worry—these dark spots (unlike your parent’s age spots) will retreat soon after birth.

No comments: