Thursday, May 04, 2006

34 Weeks Pregnant!

Hip hip hooray, 34 weeks today!

I'm NOT a happy bunny. Discovered my first stretch marks last night. Ok, so they're in not too much of a bad place (top of my legs) - no one will ever see them apart from me and Jack and anyone on any beaches I ever choose to visit. I have been happily slathering on my Bio Oil to the tum and sides totally sidestepping the bum and leg region, I mean - it's the belly that gets "stretched" isn't it? This is just natures way of telling me that I have now got a fat arse if I didn't already think it. Great. Thanks.

It's 25 degrees today and it's absolutely boiling! Jeans were not a good idea this morning. I went to New Look in Marble Arch on my way into work, as they finally have the maternity section in there. Thought they might have some nice skirts, or a dress (I'd seen a lovely one on their site), but no luck. I did get some white linen trousers - a snip at £15, and a couple of long tops. I managed to get foundation on the white top I wore today though, lovely look.

I had the midwife this morning, it was a different midwife which I'd never seen before, but I think she's my favourite! She was so lovely, chatty and we had joky convos as well as serious, I really hope she's present at my birth if any of that team are.

Heartbeat was fine, nice and loud and steady. It was still lying to the right hand side, head down, and starting to engage - it's 4/5ths palpable (whatever that means), I'm off to try and find out!

Bump pics tomorrow. Here's what Babycentre says abotu week 34... "Your baby now weighs more than 5.5 pounds/ 2.5 kilograms and is 19.5 inches/ over 49 centimetres from top to toe. She's filling out and getting rounder -- she'll need her fat layers later to regulate her body temperature.

If you don't already talk to your baby, this is a good time to start -- at 35 weeks her hearing is fully developed. Don't feel ridiculous if you're already chatting in baby talk. Some evidence shows that newborns pay closer attention to high-pitched tones.

If you've been nervous about going into premature labour, you'll be happy to know that 99 per cent of babies born at week 35 can survive outside the womb -- and most have no major problems. Although your baby's central nervous system is still maturing, her lungs are nearly fully developed by now.

Many women start to notice a tingling sensation or numbness in the pelvic region or pain as they walk. This may be caused by the pelvic joints loosening, ready for labour. If you're terribly uncomfortable, mention it to your midwife or doctor and check out our self-help tips."

No comments: